Thanks for visiting me at Miranda's Table

As many of you know I love to feed my family and friends. Sometimes I take the day to savor the ideas and sometimes I use what I already have at home. Either way it is fun to surprise my hungry guests.

My passion for cooking began at home with my Mum, of course. At a very young age I would stand in the Dog's bed next to the Aga (Stove) and watch her cooking and later we would talk and cook together. 30 odd years later when I visit her and Dad in England she leaves me to do most of the cooking though Mum is always present for chit chat and encouragement.

In my 20's it was all about The Bridge Street Cafe. Baking with my Cousin Sal and making fresh pasta for the evening crowd were my duties at first. Then, as the years went by, I watched and learned from Greg, Pedro, Dan, Paul and of course Pam Storey. By then the Food Network was getting started and inspirational chefs were peaking my interest. The rest is history.

I will enveavor to keep posting and cooking. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Horrid Eggs !

So now we are onto the season of the 'cozy foods' again it seems.  Its January 6th and already we have forgotten about eating light and in moderation.  Beware! It's next to impossible to have just one helping of these delicious eggs.  An English variation of an Indian classic curry this was my Mum's effort to eat what the Brits refer to as a "vegetarian meal" once in a while.  Try it - I guarantee it will be a smash !

 HORRID EGGS !
4 Hard boiled eggs, sliced
(these days you can buy eggs already hard boiled, this might be an easy option for a crowd)

1/2 cup hot milk
3 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

First prepare a lightly buttered medium sized ceramic baking dish and place the chopped up hard boiled eggs in the dish.  Set that dish aside then in a saucepan you will make a classic white sauce. To make this classic, simply melt the butter and add the flour together.  TIP- Be sure to cook this for a minute or two to cook out the unpleasant flour taste blend well and by hand.  Then add the hot milk a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon with each addition, until the mixture is smooth. 



Once the white sauce is smooth in texture you will add the cheese and then as soon as your cheese is melted and add the paprika, curry powder and salt and blend. Once blended pour the seasoned mixture over the eggs.  Cover with buttered bread crumbs or panko.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it starts to bubble and brown.

Serve with vegetables and a nice green salad with a cool, light dressing.  A little garlic bread makes a great compliment. A crisp Chardonnay is always nice as well -maybe a lovely luncheon with the girls !

 Just a little hint of ancient India from Miranda's Table !!

Miranda

2 comments:

  1. OMG Dying to get home, fingers crossed I have eggs... so freakin yummy sounding Miranda! Billy

    ReplyDelete