Thanks for visiting me at Miranda's Table

As many of you know I love to feed my family and friends. Sometimes I take the day to savor the ideas and sometimes I use what I already have at home. Either way it is fun to surprise my hungry guests.

My passion for cooking began at home with my Mum, of course. At a very young age I would stand in the Dog's bed next to the Aga (Stove) and watch her cooking and later we would talk and cook together. 30 odd years later when I visit her and Dad in England she leaves me to do most of the cooking though Mum is always present for chit chat and encouragement.

In my 20's it was all about The Bridge Street Cafe. Baking with my Cousin Sal and making fresh pasta for the evening crowd were my duties at first. Then, as the years went by, I watched and learned from Greg, Pedro, Dan, Paul and of course Pam Storey. By then the Food Network was getting started and inspirational chefs were peaking my interest. The rest is history.

I will enveavor to keep posting and cooking. Enjoy!

Friday, December 10, 2010

"Tablescapes" !

The word "Tablescape" kind of annoys me I have to admit, however, the act of setting a beautiful table does quite the opposite.  Not only is it suggesting to your guests that they are special but it enables the party giver to express their artistic style.

The sky is really the limit.  From classic and clean white table linens (my husband's favourite) to an Indian table runner in festive colours. Remember you don't have to actually purchase a "runner" use some fabric you already have. Anytime of year I enjoy going outside and seeing what is beautiful bright or unusual.  It might be a large dried seedpod, past their prime hydrangeas or some bright clusters of berries in a vase. Christmas ornaments aren't just for the tree use them on the table. If you've got a special heirloom or ornament, make it your centerpiece or even a whimsical glass ornament or paperweight. Nuts and fruits scattered around the table are a nice change, plus they it can double up as a course with fruit and cheese.

Be sure not to put something in the table center that would block your guests' view of one another.  Use candles to add height when you have flat plates and low bowls, you need something to move your eye upward to your friends faces!

Think about it.  Take your time and above all enjoy the time you have spent and the time you will spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment